Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

Been injured at work? We’re here to help you

Harvey & Carpenter has over 50 years worth experience representing injured workers in many workers’ compensation cases within Minnesota.

Therefore, if you were injured at work or if you have a medical problem that gradually worsened over time, due to your work, you may be entitled to wage loss, medical treatment, payment for a percentage of disability, help in finding employment, or retraining.

Call us at: 507-779-7529 or email: for a FREE Consultation

We are here to help you determine what benefits you qualify for through the workers’ compensation system. Our firm has handled and won thousands of workers’ compensation cases with injuries ranging from carpal tunnel, exposure to mold, broken bones, loss of limbs, injured backs and necks, heart attacks, death and more.

We will work hard to get you the compensation and benefits that you deserve.

In a workers’ compensation case, we don’t get paid unless we get you benefits. Therefore, you do not need money up front, nor will you receive an invoice from our firm.

Therefore, if you’ve been injured on the job, don’t wait, contact us now.


Our Workers’ Compensation Attorneys

If you were injured at work or have a medical problem that developed over time due to your work, you may be entitled to wage loss, medical treatment, payment for a percentage of disability, help in finding a job, or retraining.

We handle workers’ compensation claims throughout Southern Minnesota, including but not limited to the following cities: Mankato, North Mankato, St. Peter, New Ulm, Fairmont, Blue Earth, Owatonna, Nicollet, Faribault, Worthington, Austin, Albert Lea, Sleepy Eye, Lake Crystal and other Southern Minnesota cities.

Most of the workers’ compensation hearings for our clients are held in Mankato. Our central location is convenient for our clients. However, if necessary, we can also meet clients at locations closer to their homes.


Your questions, answered

Q: I got injured at work, and now my boss cut my hours. Work comp is paying my medical bills, but my house payment is behind. What can I do?

A: In most cases, you will be entitled to 2/3 of the difference between what you were earning when you got hurt and what you earn now;as long as the cut in hours was due to your injury or restrictions.

Q: What should I do if I’m hurt at work?

A: Be sure you report the injury as soon as possible to a supervisor.  Tell the supervisor not only that “it hurts” but that it hurts because of something that happened on the job and/or that it hurts when you are doing your job.  Ask that it be reported to the Workers’ Compensation insurance company.

Make sure that the report is accurate and be sure to review it.  Do not sign it if it is not accurate (you can actually write on it to correct it and mail it to the insurance company yourself).  The insurance company has 14 days to accept or deny the claim.  We are here to answer your questions and we don’t charge a fee unless we get you benefits.

Q: I hurt my shoulder at work and I was put on restrictions.  My employer asks me to do things once in a while that are not within my restrictions.  Do I have to do work outside of my restrictions?

A: You should politely refuse to do work outside of your work restrictions and remind your employer what those restrictions are.  Sometimes, it is unclear whether work activity is or is not within your restrictions.  I would err on not doing such activity until it is approved by a doctor or a Qualified Rehabilitation Specialist (QRC).

A QRC’s job is to help an injured worker return to appropriate work.  If you have a QRC, you can ask him or her whether the work activity is within your restrictions.  If an employer refuses to follow your restrictions, you need to contact a lawyer and inform your doctor or your QRC.  Give us a call 507-779-7529

Q: I had an injury to my knee at work about a year ago. Due to the economic downturn, I was let go from my employer. I have been on unemployment for about 6 months now. I got a check in the mail from workers’ compensation and it says it is my final payment. Should I cash this check if I think I am entitled to more benefits? Am I entitled to anything more?

A: I would have to see the check, but it is probably for the permanency rating on your knee.  When you have a permanent injury, you may get a permanent partial disability rating, like say 8%.  It would usually say in the memo line or on an attached notice that it is for PPD, which mean permanent partial disability.  Partial disability is only one benefit you could be entitled to.  If it is for PPD, you can go ahead and cash it.

Just because the insurance company says it is your final payment does not mean it is, it might be the last dollar the insurer willingly pays you.  Most of our clients get much more over and above the amount willingly paid by the insurer.  You also asked if you should be getting anything else from work comp.  That depends, but you could be entitled to additional wage loss, help finding a job, or even schooling.

Q: I fell on the way to my car after work and broke my leg.  Can I get work comp for that?

A: If you were on the employer’s property, like their parking lot, you can.  If you were on a sidewalk or street where the public normally goes, then not usually, although there are some exceptions to that.  Our office could look at your exact situation for free and give you a more accurate opinion.